Sunday, June 05, 2005

Here's what I said

In case you're wondering, here's the leaflet I passed around:

For a representative who respects the truth


CHOOSE HONOR


Write in

HIAWATHA BRAY

For BNG Executive Committee At Large


On May 13, in a speech in St. Louis, Newspaper Guild president Linda Foley accused the US military of deliberately murdering journalists in Iraq. She presented no evidence for this assertion, and has refused to offer any. I know, because I’ve phoned her multiple times. Foley has said that she will make no further public comment on the matter. This won’t do.

I take my union membership very seriously. I’m a veteran of the 1995 Detroit newspaper strike. While many of my colleagues went back to work, I refused to cross the picket line. It cost me a job, but I couldn’t see stabbing my fellow union members in the back.

Today the nation’s bravest men and women are fighting and dying on our behalf. We who are safe at home are under no obligation to support the war, but we have no right to lie about those who are fighting it, slandering them even as they risk their lives for our sakes. It’s reprehensible, and I won’t have it. That’s why I’m asking for your write-in vote for an at-large seat on the Executive Committee of the BNG. In that position, I’ll do my best to demand accountability from our national union leaders, and to uphold the honor of our profession.

In addition, I urge you to contact the Guild at (202) 434-7177 and demand an explanation. For more information on Foley’s comments, visit my Web log—choosehonor.blogspot.com. Also, contact me by e-mail at watha@monitortan.com.

18 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Harrell said...

Not being a member of the union, I don’t know that there’s anything I can do to help, but best of luck.

7:42 PM  
Blogger dualdiagnosis said...

Hiawatha, you are awesome. I am appalled by the lack of coverage from the union members in the media. This is also a big story, why the silence?
There may be more than you , T Lipscom and the blogosphere but I haven't seen it. The credibility of the MSM is in a death spiral.

You are very brave and I should hope that the members will vote for someone that stands up for the truth.

9:02 PM  
Blogger David C. Matthews said...

I echo Jeff Harrell's sentiments. Being neither a journalist nor union member, I don't know what else I can do to help, except, like Jeff, wish you success.

9:24 PM  
Blogger Big-Gene said...

Yo, Hiawatha!

As a former member of TNG Local 22 executive board (i.e., Detroit) I have two words to say to you: YOU ROCK! You would have my vote, if I had a vote. I was a member of the Guild a long time ago, long before the News and Freep went on strike. Your remarks and reactions are right on vis-avis Linda Foley.

All my best to you, my brother!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

To steal a phrase from Jay Severin when someone at the Globe made unfounded charges about him,
"Linda Foley picks her nose and eats it".

9:39 PM  
Blogger b said...

As a troop in Afghanistan, thank you

1:12 AM  
Blogger YES said...

Go for it Hiawatha!!! May the force be with you. tom kubiak

4:32 AM  
Blogger Pyrthroes said...

Running as an Independent for a Board seat in opposition to the seditious libels propagated by the Linda Foleys of this so-called neutral organization strikes me as akin to the recent insurgency that placed two non-PC Trustees on the Board of Dartmouth University. It will take years, but a counter-weight to Gramsci's "long march through the institutions" cannot begin too soon.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Charlie (Colorado) said...

Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of approval.

8:49 AM  
Blogger The Geek said...

Amen Brother Hiawatha ....

2:59 PM  
Blogger Stephen M. St. Onge said...

      Ms. Bray, you do much for the honor of your profession.  My best wishes.

5:24 AM  
Blogger TallDave said...

Good luck, you deserve to win.

8:24 AM  
Blogger waynorth said...

I couldn't agree less. The people we've been lied to by in this war are the people apparently Hiawatha stands with - the Bush administration. We now know that the Iraq thing was planned at least a year in advance (this from the British elections, and covered very poorly in the American press). Where is the indignation about these lies that are truly causing peoply to die needlessly.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Tran Sient said...

Great job! Keep up the good work.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Hoodia said...

Help me Dude, I think I'm lost..... I was searching for Elvis and somehow ended up in your blog, but you know I'm sure I saw him in a car lot yesterday, which is really strange because the last time I saw him was in the supermarket. No honest really, he was right there in front of me, next to the steaks singing "Love me Tender". He said to me (his lip was only slightly curled) "Boy, you need to get yourself a San Diego cosmetic surgery doctor ,to fit into those blue suede shoes of yours. But Elvis said in the Ghetto nobody can afford a San Diego plastic surgery doctor. Dude I'm All Shook Up said Elvis. I think I'll have me another cheeseburger. Then I'm gonna go round and see Michael Jackson and we're gonna watch a waaaay cool make-over show featuring some Tijuana dentists on the TV in the back of my Hummer. And then he just walked out of the supermarket singing. . . "You give me love and consolation,
You give me strength to carry on " Strange day or what? :-)

8:47 PM  
Blogger Theresa Twogood said...

It's nice to see a blog that is worked regularly...Keep up the good work!
If you ever need content, browse of site at http://olin.tk . We also have our official company blog at http://olinepublishing.blogspot.com You are invited to use material from either.publish

1:00 PM  
Blogger Scott A. Edwards said...

Wow what a cool blog you have here! I am impressed. You really put a lot of time and effort into this. I wish I had your creative writing skills, progressive talent and self- discipline to produce a blog like you did. Your blog really does deserve an honest compliment. If you have some time, stop by my site. It deals with stuff like, click here: making easy money online and then feel free to e-mail me with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send my. way... Later, Scott.

10:52 AM  
Blogger thedailyposts said...

All the news about dallas newspaper read it online reading the free online newspaper www.thedailyposts.com

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home